Friday, August 31, 2012

Unwilling to Settle

Friday, August 31, 2012

Today, I find myself looking for peace again.... I find politics to be incredible agitating.  The polarization is divisive - and it's no wonder when you compare the major party platforms.  A few days ago, I found a platform I could pretty much support (with a few minor tweaks) - the Libertarians.  Last night, I listened to the Libertarian Presidential nominee - Gary Johnson (former Governor of New Mexico) - and was really impressed.  He seemed to speak authentically, with integrity and from experience.

I found an on-line quiz (www.isidewith.com) measuring "which candidate you align with" on various issues.  Five presidential candidates are listed - Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, Ron Paul, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.  Surprisingly - or not - I aligned 88% of the time with Gary Johnson. (Barack Obama was 4th and Mitt Romney, 5th.)  By the responses of those who have taken the quiz, I think it's safe to say that many people were surprised who they really align with.  Many times we aren't open minded enough to check out the facts and make an informed decision which aligns with what we really believe.

Truthfully, I haven't decided how I'm voting yet.  It feels like "wasting" my vote if I choose to go for a 3rd party.  However, I'm coming to the point where I'm no longer willing to "settle" by not fully supporting my own alignment.  The Libertarians capture the best of both the major parties - full support of individual liberty AND less government.  They may be the group that can not only bridge but balance the shadows of the Republican and Democratic parties by bringing a "majority" to votes regarding inividual liberty AND cleaning up government.

I'm tired of being angry.  I'm tired of voting defensively.  I'm ready to support candidates that truly align with the values I treasure most - equality, independence and unalienable rights.  Check out the Libertarians and their platform.  Listen to Gary Johnson speak.  Perhaps it's time to send a message to the major parties that we're tired of politics and campaigns per usual.  Neither of the major parties is blameless for the state of our union - and neither party has all the answers for moving forward.  Until we/they understand this and put their "weapons" down, there can be no solution.

In love of liberty,
Much love,
Karrie



 

No comments:

Post a Comment