Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Voting Consciously!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012
I have attempted to put aside my bias for one particular political party.  I really desire to support those candidates who represent my beliefs regarding equality and unalienable rights.  In fact, I believe I have found a way to determine who these candidates are by taking into account their voting records as well as the policies they support.  However, it becomes difficult to ignore a candidate’s party when the party itself provides safe harbor to a group of radically conservative social fanatics who don’t appear to understand liberty or the unalienable rights in general. 
I don’t care if they choose not to have an abortion following rape, incest or even a moment of heated passion.  It’s fine with me if they deny their sexuality as a gay or lesbian.  However, it’s NOT fine with me for them to dictate my decisions or govern my life.  I have listened to bigoted statements (regarding immigrants, second language students and gays and lesbians) of tea partiers during one of their rallies.  And though it may not be true of all tea partiers, I didn’t see any of them stepping up to stop it.  And so goes it with the Republican Party.  
Mitt Romney reversed his “beliefs” in order to run for president and appease the conservative right.  It’s hard to respect that.  Paul Ryan is a social conservative.  The more you follow his voting record and ideas, the scarier he gets.  Then you have Sarah Palin and her husband standing in front of Chick-Fil-A with their bag of chicken sandwiches (supporting the company’s anti-gay sentiments) and Todd Akin (candidate for the US Senate) voicing his outrageously ignorant beliefs regarding “legitimate rape” and pregnancy (Are you kidding me?).  Do I need to go on? 
I understand the concept of unalienable rights and therefore I will respect the right of others to voice their opinion and live their life as they desire.  All I ask is for the same understanding.  In fact, I not only ask for respect of my unalienable rights – but I demand it.  The economy, budget, Medicare, Social Security and deficit are huge issues that must be dealt with BUT the unalienable rights – including equality and freedom – are the basis of the Declaration of Independence and the founding of this nation.  White, black, purple, pink, male, female, gay, non-gay MUST pull together around a common demand, expectation and focus in support and promotion of these unalienable rights.  There is a difference between a right to an opinion and allowing that opinion to become legislation or law denying the very rights this nation was founded upon. 
I suggest that each of us take the time to review the “platforms, planks and two-by-fours” of each party – especially after their respective conventions - and vote consciously.  I’m sure it’s obvious which way I’m leaning but if someone can find me a Republican candidate that supports the unalienable rights of each and every person I will honestly consider them.
Passionately in Support of Unalienable Rights!
Much love,
Karrie
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! I so enjoy reading your blogs,very interesting and I will look forward to the next one. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrie,

    I am so grateful for your compassion and strength. When I read your blog it inspires me to step out of the box for a little while, that little while seems to be lasting longer each time and is manifesting into confidence that our broken system will be repaired. I am behind you all the way!

    Rally On!

    You are my hero, You are my VOICE.

    Love Ya, Beth

    ReplyDelete