Friday, August 24, 2012

I may be a moron BUT...

Friday, August 24, 2012
Well, I have been in deep thought and emotional processing since yesterday afternoon.  I happened to be passing through the living room when I heard Rush Limbaugh say he thought the country could survive another 4 years of Obama.  However, it couldn’t survive the majority of “morons” who voted for him.  Now…I have to admit, I find Mr. Limbaugh offensive, divisive and unconscious – BUT he does play his part well, doesn’t he?  If we didn’t have such outrageous irritants, many of us probably wouldn’t have the emotional charge to find our voice and take a stand.  The challenge comes in taking that stand in a conscious and balanced manner.  (I’m not sure I’ve accomplished this yet!)
Back to the comment made by Mr. Limbaugh….upon hearing his “opinion,” I burst into tears!  (I was ready to have a t-shirt made that had Obama 2012 on one side and “Proud to be conscious!” on the other!)  I had to ask myself, “Why the reaction?”  I realized that upon hearing the comment, I immediately went to what I think of those who choose to vote Republican.  For me, to vote Republican means support for bigotry and inequality.  It means social unconsciousness and a lack of understanding for unalienable rights.  As a woman and lesbian, I take this personally.  It hurts.  What came up for me is the betrayal I felt when my father invited the minister of their church (who teaches children not to talk to gays or lesbians because God will not like them if they do) to a family gathering.  Though I acknowledge my father’s right to invite who he wants (and I adore my father), I felt the deepest pain of betrayal one could ever feel.  When it comes to family members and friends who choose to vote Republican – I feel the same betrayal.  And that is why I burst into tears.
This being said, I respect each person’s right to vote how they see fit – I really do.  I respect the fact that each of us has our own priorities.  However, I have a hard time respecting those who have their unalienable rights intact - and without question - while allowing the denial of these rights to others.  I will love them and “I understand” but I find it totally unacceptable – which is why I will continue to speak out.
Quite frankly, I don’t believe that most “social issues” belong in the government.  Most of these types of issues are protected under unalienable rights – which the government is meant to protect.  Marriage has no place in government.  And things like abortion – though I understand the argument – are an individual’s choice (between the person and “God).  How a person chooses to live their life is their right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  I have a hard time understanding those who are “right to life” but support “war” and unrestricted gun access.  Give me a break.
Anyway, I hope you will forgive me for my pointed venting and I hope down the road as I continue to process my own beliefs and perspectives, I will be able to get to the point where I speak about the good each party can bring to the country.  Each has their shadow and each has something to offer.  However, I sense that before we(I) can get there, each of us may have some flushing to do.  There is a lot of pain in this country coming from unspoken feelings and destructive unconsciousness.  Politics and God are a couple of topics we’re warned not to talk about….and we all know why!  However, I sense these are the very things we must talk about in order to heal and move forward…together.
Much love,
Karrie      

No comments:

Post a Comment