Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Calling on Paul Revere!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Lately, I have found myself in a growing conundrum – who do I support this election?  As I do more research, I find myself more in alignment with (don’t fall out of your chair) the Republicans fiscally and economically.  However, I don’t align with them at all regarding their views on education, health care or their blatant denial of personal freedom.  I sense the Republicans may have a better shot at turning the economy/budget deficit around while the Democrats are most likely to defend and support personal freedom.  Both are imperative to maintaining the foundation of the United States of America. 
I can’t vote for the Republicans because that would be betraying everything I believe in regards to the Declaration of Independence.  In essence I would be betraying myself - and many others.  (The Republican platform had me looking out the window for Paul Revere!  They are almost “dark ages” when it comes to social issues, education and Mother Earth.)  I can vote Democrat but I don’t necessarily have the confidence that they have the answers economically or to balance the budget.  The Democrats have a co-dependence problem and I believe in independence.  So……I decided to see what else is in the offering….
It only took 10 seconds to find a party platform I can support – the Libertarians!  Woohoo!  The first sentence of the preamble to the Libertarian platform and principles is: (platform can be found at www.lp.org/platform)
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others. 
I can support the Libertarian view on education, abortion, personal relationships, the environment and economics.  They would do away with the Department of Education and give control back to the teachers and parents who know the children best.  They support an individual’s right to choose as well as taking responsibility for the consequences.  They believe people have the right to live their life the way they desire without governmental interference.  They believe in free market trading and sensible use of our natural resources.  Anyway…you get the idea.  There is so much more – and every bit of it is in support of liberty.
I can’t tell you how excited I am to find a party I am “for.”  This gives me something to support rather than voting defensively.
To sum it up…I am a patriot.  I believe in equality, independence and the unalienable rights.  I’m not interested in voting out of fear – I am interested in voting in alignment with what I’m for.  The Libertarians are the 3rd largest party – but there isn’t any reason they can’t replace one or both of the other two.  Perhaps it isn’t realistic for this election cycle but it is most certainly a possibility for the next.
I am learning how to make informed decisions in regard to the direction this country is headed.  I play a part – just as you do.  I suggest each of us reads the “platform” for each party and makes a decision as to which best represents us.  I’m tired of politicians placing loyalty to their party over loyalty to the principles of equality, independence and liberty.  These are the principles the Founders fought to secure - as well as creating a governmental structure to defend.  In the very least, the Libertarians may be my answer over the next 4 years to “a Group of Tremendous Influence.”  I sense I’ve found a home for my passion….and that in itself brings a sigh of relief.
A Patriot at heart!
Much love,
Karrie    

No comments:

Post a Comment