Monday, August 13, 2012

Down Tiger! Ending the Battle

Monday, August 13, 2012

Today, I conclude my trip to my home town in Iowa.  This past weekend was the 100th plus National Hobo Convention, a treasured tradition to those who live - and have lived - in Britt, Iowa.  This is the time year when many a graduated class has their reunion.  My reason for coming back to Iowa was another type of reunion and celebration - the honoring of my former high school basketball coach as well as the game of 6-on-6 basketball.  (Yes, I said 6-on-6.)  This was the game I grew up with and will always "hold near and dear."  Six-on-six is a fast-paced, split court game of 3-on-3 where everyone is limited to 2 dribbles during each individual possession.  A team consists of 3 defensive players and 3 offensive players.  It's an awesome game which came to its conclusion in 1993.  Girls basketball (as well as other girls' sports) has always been a "big deal" in Iowa, drawing more people to the state tournament than the boys (at least back in the 6-on-6 days).  The reunion of the coaches and classes from 1971 to 1993 was incredible.  It was one enormous family reunion - and I mean family - one big 22-year-expansive team!  It seemed like only yesterday...  The foundation built through our experiences is almost unshakable - meaning that even after 30 plus years of not seeing other participant, one can reconnect to that "bond" immediately.  An amazing experience that I will treasure always.

It was interesting chatting with a few of my relatives in Iowa regarding politics.  I'm not sure how the men feel exactly but as for the women, there is a reoccurring call for "bi-partisanship" or even "non-partisanship."  No matter the current registered party, the women in my family are tired of putting party ahead of what's "right" and not working together to get things done.  I'm starting to believe this really is a common desire among Americans - especially women.

Last week, I had the pleasure of having a "reading" with a woman in Mt. Shasta (www.raydawn.com).  She has always been incredibly accurate and the information I received, transformative.  The theme of the reading was "ending the battle."  I had to take some time to ponder this notion and what it meant.  On one level, it means the obvious - stop the fighting (inside and outside).  We don't have to do battle to transform the system.  We each only need to end the battle within us and begin retraining ourselves to converse, focus and step toward that which we desire.  This means supporting that which we desire and lessening our support for that which we have outgrown.  Instead of arguing about why our viewpoint is right and the other wrong, we can co-create solutions by stepping away from our opinion, listening to each other and looking for new and innovative answers.  As long as we are stuck in a right and a wrong, there are no solutions.

For me, this idea of "ending the battle" also meant becoming aware of the character(s) inside me that felt it was responsible for changing the system single-handedly.  This particular character rides a white horse and carries a very big sword!  It desires to eliminate those who can't seem to "get their rears in gear" (according to its standards) - an enormous job indeed!  This brings me back to the recognition of my own "battle within".... and the truth that I am only responsible for my own creation - and for that, I don't need to do battle.  A great awareness - I give thanks to Ray Dawn in Mt. Shasta.

Today, I am feeling more at peace - and excited more than passionate.  I've combined my weekend stroll down memory lane with the invaluable information I received from trusted friends.  I'm thinking in terms of "team," co-creation and the love of a challenge rather than "vigilante," battle and a never-ending and out-grown "job."  I'm looking forward to changing the dialogue within - and without - while witnessing the birth of new creations.

From the Great State of Iowa...
Much love,
Karrie  

   

    

 





   

No comments:

Post a Comment