Friday, August 30, 2013

An Absence Speaks Strongly


Friday, August 30, 2013

Yesterday morning (as I was visiting Circle K for my extra-large cinnamon coffee), my attention was captured by a photograph on the front of the USA Today.  The picture that caught my eye was that of President Obama, Michelle Obama and former Presidents, Clinton and Carter on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  They were there commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington including Martin Luther King, Jr.’s famous “I have a dream” speech.  Immediately, the question that popped into my mind was, “Where are the Republicans?”  The question wasn’t tainted with any judgment or emotion necessarily; it just seemed very odd that they didn’t appear to be present.

The absence of our “other half” bothered me enough that I decided to investigate on the internet.  Surprisingly, I found that prominent Republicans were invited to speak (including the only elected African American Senator) and declined.  I have to admit, I don’t really understand.  As I pondered this over the past 24 hours, I experienced several different emotions.  I’ve done my best to refrain from judgment since I really have no idea why the choice not to attend may have been made.  It appears to be a “party” decision (or a really weird coincidence)….and even more interesting is the fact that it’s the party of Lincoln.

This morning, I became interested in “why” a decision like this might be made.  As I contemplated “why”, it occurred to me that perhaps this commemoration represented something else to some people….maybe some believe in freedom and equality but don’t agree when it comes to the “how” of getting there?  Who knows?  However, it also occurred to me that it may be true that some really don’t believe in freedom and equality for all people and if this is the case, then we have some real problems.  Disagreeing over “strategies” is one thing.  Not supporting the foundational ideals of our nation is another. 

For me, the following questions now stick in my mind…not just for representatives but for each of us….do you or do you not believe in freedom and equality for all people?  Do you see the people of our country as “blue” or “red”, in terms of ethnicity, religious affiliation or sexual orientation?…or do you see Americans?  Are you more concerned about what’s best for Americans or loyalty to a political party that represents less than half of the people?

As I take these questions into my own heart and answer them for myself, I realize how important it is to hold a vibration of Unity, right now….we have come to an evolutionary crossroads, it seems.  Will we choose the values of a higher consciousness – becoming ever more aligned with our foundational aspirations?  Or will we allow the unconscious to stymy the ascent? 

As for me, I’m choosing to hold the vision of Unity…a vision of one nation….under God….indivisiblewith liberty and justice for All….a vision in which the essence of America is in full bloom.  I’m in love with the essence of America…how about you?

Much love,

Karrie

1 comment:

  1. I am moved by your post dear Karrie, and I too was called to search for deeper meaning after reading your blog, listening to President Obama, and surfing social media.

    What does absence mean? Who was invited and who declined? Who was not invited and feels maligned? What is the Truth or the Perception? Is our response based on Knowledge or on Assumption? Are we open to union or plagued by division?

    These questions are swirling within my consciousness on this Saturday morning as I read multiple reports of the Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington. Filled with inspiration and despair, I vacillate between these emotions as I read the tweets and the posts of fellow Americans who seek answers to the question “where are the Republicans?”

    I am encouraged when I read expressions and beliefs that are framed in love, respect, and dignity. I am troubled when I read expressions that are framed in accusation, condemnation, and degradation. My soul rejoices when my own views are challenged by respectful dissent. It stings my soul when I read or hear opposing views expressed through disdainful language and name-calling. I am reminded of the opportunity we are provided in America to speak freely. We find harmony when we speak in ways that uplifts us all.

    So here I sit today, pondering the thoughtful and thought-provoking expressions in Allowing Karrie, grateful to join the conversation.
    I’m not so sure I understand what this “absence” means.

    What I know for sure is I Am in love with the essence of America. I pledge my allegiance to unity of all. I hold loving space for each spoken voice which I choose to celebrate as a reflection of individual freedom. I shine light upon those stuck in negative ways of expression, inviting pathways to converse in ways that uplift us all as One Nation….under God….Indivisible…with Liberty and Justice for ALL.

    I applaud this post from Allowing Karrie and I stand in unity with all. I am proud to be an American.

    With Love,
    Diana Stephens

    ReplyDelete