Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Power of Equality


Sunday, January 27, 2013

Last week, I was fortunate to share in an experience with a group of educators at an elementary school.  I was asked to facilitate a series of workshops and this was #2 in the sequence.  The first get-together was entitled “Because I am important…” and was focused on a more conscious understanding of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  This included recognition of the power we brought with us into this realm in the form of an opportunity (Life), the freedom to choose (Liberty) and an innate urge to follow that which calls us to happiness (pursuit of Happiness).  The question then being, “Am I taking advantage of the power I’ve been given?”  The second gathering bore the title, “Now that I understand you…” and the focus was equality. 

Some of you may remember that in my previous blog I shared “The Hug”.  It was about my experience with a homeless man that brought me to an incredible realization regarding the meaning of equality.  For me, equality is experienced in the acknowledgment of the existence of another face of God.  It is respect for a fellow expression of the One and Only. 

During the workshop, the power of equality became very apparent.  The impact of taking a moment to recognize and acknowledge the existence of another Being prior to any interaction is incredible.  The influence of feeling the respect from another for just being is transformative.  All of this became clear to me in this gathering of fellow faces of the One.  In this communal-like realization of equality…the room began to glow. 

After experiencing equality, the question naturally arose about disagreement and differences.  How can one maintain a sense of equality AND have interactions with others whom are very different from us.  For me, it became clear that we can do both.  We can hold the consciousness of equality AND not feel threatened by diversity.  When we hold equality, the playing field – within and without – becomes level.  We are ok being who we are…and others feel this same safety.  Conversation becomes a vehicle to understand – not to convince or dominate – and what is created in the conversation is definitely greater than anything any one of us could create by ourselves.

This was an amazing experience for me, to sense and feel the power of equality as a foundation for interaction, co-creation and union was unbelievable.  I realize from this experience that it is the conscious recognition of equality that is a unifying and healing force for humanity.  It is in equality that we find a solution for the troublesome challenges of unhappiness, shadow behavior, violence and tragedy.

Much love,

Karrie   

No comments:

Post a Comment