Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Hug


Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, I had an encounter with a homeless person which has dropped into my consciousness on several occasions as of late.  My experience was one of those which “sticks out” in my mind and continues to draw my attention…it “glows” in some way with a message of sorts.  Yesterday, it dropped in again as I was chatting with my parents. This morning, I feel the need to write about it…to share it…perhaps because I’m finally conscious of the message.

So…a couple of weeks ago as I was walking into one of my favorite fast food restaurants, my attention was called by the “hello” of a homeless man in a wheelchair near the entrance.  I walked over to the railing – of which he was on the other side – and responded with my own “hello” as well as “how are you today?”  He then shared his story and though he didn’t ask for money…I offered it anyway.  He said a prayer for both of us and we said “good-bye”.  As I started to walk away, I felt an urge to hug him.  For the next 3-5 seconds, I questioned this nudge but then gave into it and headed toward him.  I asked him if I could hug him to which he responded affirmatively and with, “we shouldn’t be afraid to hug other people”.  When we hugged, I really felt his response.  And as I walked away, I felt my tears.  How many people go without the hug – the acknowledgement of their existence – by another human being?  How many children, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, grandparents, colleagues, friends, homeless persons….and other expressions of the One and Only go without acknowledgement of their existence? 

When we wonder why there is such an increase in human-initiated tragedy, we have no further to look than the frustration, anger and despair of those souls screaming for acknowledgement and love.  We have been trained not to “see” those who don’t fit into the human-created, exclusionary, narrow band of “norms” and “acceptability”.  We value some, celebrate others, put those we deem as “special” on pedestals and ignore the “others”.  Each and every face of the One and Only has gifts, talents and genius.  Each and every expression is deserving of acknowledgement and respect.  We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all [beings] are created equal… with this encounter, I sense I have a deeper understanding of equality.  It’s acknowledgement and respect for a fellow face of God.

Much love,

Karrie

No comments:

Post a Comment