Saturday, November 9, 2013

An Arm-Saving Insight


Saturday, November 9, 2013

This morning as I was walking one of my babies, Devi, I was gifted an insight regarding trust.  Devi and I were walking through the neighborhood greenbelt (an area which many homes look over from the fenced back yards) and as we approached part of the walkway adjacent to the yard of one of her favorite doggie adversaries I found myself securing her retractable leash at about 2 feet.  As I did this, I heard myself say, “I don’t trust you”, meaning I didn’t trust the fact that she wouldn’t suddenly fly up the small hill toward her adversary and rip off my arm in the process!  However, when I heard myself say this, I felt something else…something I didn’t like.  It had to do with the fact that I didn’t trust her.  It didn’t feel right.  Within a matter of seconds, I heard myself counter with “But I do trust you to be you…which means it’s quite possible you may very well bound up the hill with my arm in tow!”  This little switch to, “But I do trust you to be you” made all the difference in the world.  I smiled and felt lighter because I could feel a more far reaching application than just the relationship between Devi and I. 

I also realized in that moment that this is how it is with the people around me as well.  I can absolutely trust them to be who they are.  I cannot trust them to be who I want them to be.  And why should they be who I want them to be?!  How selfish is that?  It is freeing to know that I can trust people…animals…Nature… insects…plants…etc…..I can trust them to be who they are.  How powerful is that?

Much love,

Karrie    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karrie,

    What if you don't really know who they are? Are you not then condemning them to a misunderstood perception held in your mind? Any action taken by them will be misconstrued into what you believe them to be, even if it is not the true them.

    You can only expect someone to be who they are?
    What if someone is trying to change? Your judgments, expectations and negative or positive energies will affect the person’s progress.

    Treed carefully with these thoughts

    ---L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi L,
    I just found the comment so I apologize for not responding sooner. If I understand correctly, I believe we may be on the same page. Basically, I'm saying I can only expect someone to be who they are in any moment which for me equates to releasing any expectations, assumptions or judgments. They are who they are and it's not for me to place a projection upon them at all.
    Thanks for the comment!
    Karrie

    ReplyDelete