Saturday, December 15, 2012

From the Fire of Heartbreak....


Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heartbreaking…..the word I heard and saw repeatedly regarding the horrendous school shooting in Connecticut.  I saw the headline on the internet and mentioned it to my partner but didn’t open the article to read it.  I thought “Good God – another school shooting” and went on to the next of my morning activities.  It wasn’t until my sister called me and shared that 20 elementary aged children had been gunned down that my heart broke and the sobs emerged.  On one hand, I find it alarming that I might consider any school (mall, theater, mosque, hotel, etc.) shooting an event not out of the ordinary.  (How did that happen?)  On the other, I am now awake – painfully so.

This “slow to demand change” patterning seems to be a part of human nature.  Within the Declaration of Independence is the statement, “mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”  It’s horrendously unfortunate that our seeming willingness to endure evils while sufferable has resulted in a cosmic two by four fitted with shards of broken glass, nails and a machete or two, ripping at the hearts of humanity.  Many are crying for more stringent gun laws which may be part of the solution.  However, for me, the problem goes much deeper.  How do our children become young adults filled with such hatred, pain and disdain for life?  I see the appalling event of December 14, 2012 as a catalyst to address what’s missing in America (the world).  Where are we going “wrong”?  From politics to education to everyday life, where has all the pain, hatred and anger come from?  And now that the “evils are no longer sufferable”, what are we willing to do about it?        
Pondering change....

Much love,
Karrie

No comments:

Post a Comment