Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I don't even know where to begin...

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I don't even know where to begin...

Shall I begin with Indiana’s new law?  The one which legalizes discrimination of gays and lesbians?  Or shall I begin with a proposed ballot initiative – “Kill the Gays” - in California that has qualified for signature collecting?  Or maybe I could continue with the horrors of racism still bubbling to the surface?

Two things are coming to mind for me… both from the Declaration of Independence…

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
and
“…accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.
When exactly is enough actually ENOUGH?  When will we actually reach a point where evils are no longer sufferable?  When will freedom and equality truly be the foundation of America… and not just a legend we some share with their grandchildren?

I support these founding principles whole-heartedly… and may very well give my life for them if “Kill the Gays” actually makes the ballot and passes.  However, there is a line that must be drawn which cannot be crossed without consequences… and when this line is violated… via discrimination of any type… we cannot stand idly by.  Consciousness must take a stand.  It’s time.  For the sake of the “Land of the Free”… it’s time.

Quite frankly, I’m tired of “religious freedom” being used as a permission slip to bully others who believe differently.  I support “religious freedom” as in each of us has the right to worship as we feel called… but “religious freedom” is no greater than any other personal freedom… “Religious freedom” doesn’t trump my freedom to be “me”… and quite frankly, I’m no longer willing to pretend it does. And to go one step further… I will say this: I know God just as well as any other… and I’m no longer willing to give that power away, either.

For me, God is freedom… God is equality.  God is every perspective counts.  And as far as “religion” goes… this is as “high” as it gets.  In fact, this is the One that trumps all others… This is the One that allows all others. 

I have reached a point where my love for freedom and equality… my love for myself… is greater than my fear of being harmed.  I am willing to take a stand for something different.  I am willing to support the freedom and equality of those I can’t stand… those whose beliefs I may find reprehensible… AND I’m willing to take a stand for my own.  I may not carry any material weapons… but my big hug and kiss can be just as powerful.

United We Stand.  Divided We Fall.  It’s time.
Much love,

Karrie

No comments:

Post a Comment